29 Jul 2013

Hummers to Humvees - part 2

Hello,

been working on the two vehicles from last post through these days. There isn't much to show, but it took me a bit of work every day to achieve what's done. Mostly because I had to apply milliput three times on the doors (and it's still not "perfect" but there is a limit to what I'm prepared to invest in those humvees :P).

So, what's been done since last time? I have cut the sides of the sloped back and filed them to make it roughly oval. Same with sides of the roof. I've filled the doors with some milliput to get the "uparmored" feeling. I was thinking about covering roughly half of the windows, as original M1114 has them square. I've tried to do that to one, but I have decided it is not worth the effort. It looks cooler this way. Remember, rule no. 1: cool beats real. I still haven't found suitable tubing for snorkels and I have gave up on drilling through the exhausts (perhaps you can see futile attempt on the silver one).

I've also gave it few light strokes with sanding paper, especially on plasticard. They were both sticky and this has helped. I must make sure I don't forget to cut vertical lines on each to form an opening door on the trunk. I still haven't even started thinking about how to tackle front bumper, let alone weapons stations that would turn. I was thinking about making a static emplacement, but found it too boring.










I have taken them apart as I'll spray them black as soon as I get to a can. Call me paranoid, but I don't feel comfortable with having a spray can in overheated car :P.

 I have also dug out 1/47 Land rover defender. This is a vehicle as cool as Humvee to me and would be my first choice in "dream cars". Well, the shorter, 90 version. This larger one will do for my gaming needs. I've done some googling and I couldn't find that exact version of Rover in military colours. They are either more open or have less windows. Anyways, I'll repaint it to something green and use it as a soft skin troop carrier. Not something you'd ride to a battle in, but perfectly useful for last resort troop transport or getaway vehicle. I've drilled (and almost gave up on it) a small hole up in front for snorkel, but again, apart from wire that I'd stick in there, I got no idea how to tackle it just yet.
I've also finally started working on the infantry part of the project. Accept for limitless amounts of plans, this is what I've managed to get actually done:







Nothing to write home about, but hopefully a start to an assault rifle (3 so I can give it 3 tries, but so far, only the middle one is resembling anything I'd be happy with at this stage)

Thanks for looking,
Mathyoo

12 comments:

  1. I am a big "Landie" fan as well. Landrovers are not sophisticated, but they are easy to repair and very rugged. The Hummers are coming along nicely. Sometimes slow progress is the best way. Keep at it they are looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked how "simple" they look, never liked those nicely curved new "SUVs". Who needs offroad vehicle in the middle of New York?
      And thanks! :P

      Delete
  2. Don't know what you think but I think that they are coming on VERY well. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir, not much done, if you compare it to the original, but it feels good to leave my "touch" on them!

      Delete
  3. Great progress so far mate. Looking forward to seeing these with a coat of paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Still got lots to add, but I think it will look much better with some paint. And weapons. Everything looks better with weapons!

      Delete
  4. I'm following this conversion with interest, please keep up the commentary - looking better each time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it comes handy. As for looking better, it gets more love every time! :D

      Delete
  5. Progress is progress. Things are coming along, don't get discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started working on the weapon mounts now, so the ice is broken, just got to keep the momentum going now :)

      Delete
  6. Those are looking good, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete