25 Aug 2013

Hummers to Humvees - part 8

Hello,

before we start I would like to point out that followers list has grown and I would like to thank everyone on that list for the support. I hope you like what I'm posting and well, feel free to post comments, questions etc.

As for Humvees, still not quite done, but we're moving on! I have got a stroke of mojo and I've rushed painting emblems and flags on the vehicles, practically finishing them. What they need is some details, simple weathering, gun mounts and we're done!

I was thinking about getting custom decals for them, but eventually I've decided to do some free hand. Firstly, decals feel...too real. And hey, painting is still a part of the hobby, so I've decided to give it a go myself. While not as nice or universal as decals, you can see what they represent, so I think that is good enough, hehe.

Emblem colours for future reference:

Green Ochre

Mix of Tan earth and Green Grey

German camo medium brown

German grey for lines and swords

I have started by drawing the rough shape on the piece of "painters tape", the yellow "paper" tape.
I taped it on the table and put a scrap plasticard piece underneath to spare the table...I think it is time I'd get myself a cutting mat!

I have taped the template very roughly on the front doors.

You'll have to excuse the photos, they were taken in bad light as this is what it looked like when I was working on them :P. I've used flash for some photos. Anyway, after the template was on, I've stippled the wait paint on it, to get the rough shape.


After that was done, I covered it in lightest of he colours. The normal emblem uses white-blue-red colours of our flag (yes, like Russia), but "combat" colours are all brownish.
Nothing much to say, second colour was painted up to around 2/3 of the emblem.

I don't seem to have taken the photo, but naturally, last third of the emblem was painted with third colour. In the end I've painted black lines between the tri-colors and around the emblem. I've also added 2 crossed swords behind this shield, but those are not seen too easily.

To make them a bit nicer, I've also added small slovene flags on second door (not used at home, but I saw them on ISAF humvees). It is still a wargaming model, so if it looks cool it is good enough. The flag is roughly suggested - 3 colours and then inverted blue and white for the coat of arms.



I was on fire, so I've also added flags to the fronts. You can see  Landie's union jack on the second photo.

I'll try to finish them completely by the next post. I was thinking about making radio aerials for them (I'd really like to put little flags on those), but I think those would be too fiddly for gaming pieces. Perhaps smaller aerials, just for the sake of it?

Thanks for looking,

Mathyoo




14 comments:

  1. Those are really effective markings. I like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! In the light of ambition, I do have to say they could always be better :P

      Delete
  2. Markings have come out nicely mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, especially for the needed kick :D

      Delete
  3. Great markings on the hummers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The joy of blogging is that I learn something new each day. You had mentioned the three mountain peaks before and indeed shown them on a dice (die). Now to see the emblem on the vehicle side makes it that much more vivid. Nice one Mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure I wouldn't be doing half the things I've done without a blog, that is true. As for the mountain, I think it is safe to say it is included in vast majority of images of anything that associates itself with the country :P

      Delete
  5. Nice bit of detailing and as the kids are oft to say "Are we nearly there yet?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure it should only be one, last post more :D

      Delete
  6. Well done. Invest in a cutting mat, so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As for cutting mat, was looking at them in the past but for some, unknown reason still haven't go it...will fix that as soon as possible, hehe.

      Delete
  7. That was a good idea sir, well executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, far from sir, but it made me grow a bit :P. Thanks!

      Delete