5 Sept 2012

Graveyard scenery expanded! And more!

 Hello,

I've been working on some trees and such for past few days. Also decided to finish my crypt. Here is all what I've done since last time (and graves templates from few posts back):

 So, we got 3 bases of two trees each, a crypt and thats actually all of it. They still need some fauna. I have also made and primed some "jungle" bases, but I'll show them once they're done. If you have the eyes to notice cookies box on the left, keep in mind it is empty and I am not a lucky man!


Lets take a closer look of the pieces. Laid-back survivor will help us with demonstration of sides. Pictures are no better than usual, so well, I can only apologize one more time!

The crypt is based on an old CD, made of cork tiles I've used for most of my buildings. It is pretty basic in shape, with some bits added to make it a bit more interesting. As you can see, it is dedicated to a Scott family. Could it be a final resting place of brave captain Scott, who got doomed while searching for the Mountains of Madness in the Antarctica? Or it is dedicated to other Scott family, who's member is well known for his interest in the misteries of occult and undead? Shall we ever know the truth, it will most certainly be posted on this page. But for now, lets just check all 4 sides of the crypt:


 The crypt is obviously of an old origins, iron cross is damaged and door look like time has gotten to them, as well. I am not satisfied with how the name came out. I've used very light grey and white, but then went over with metallics to make them appear "metal". I think it could be done better...perhaps it could use another panel.
 The side shows triangles for variety and interesting windows. Windows are made of plasticard, cut to uneven shape to make it look like I've planned it that way. The fence is greenstuff. Painted in metalics, washed with black and brown wash to give a feeling of old to it. I didn't dare try to make a rust effect!

 Below are two close-ups on front. I've painted padlock red to give it a striking contrast. I was planning to chain the doors all over, but I did it all after I've placed the doors between the two cork triangles, so it would be kind of hard to sculpt any chains (the cork parts of the crypt were done first, as I don't plan too much but rather think of the things as I go)
 Doors are made of plasticard, cut to planks an scored with wire brush. A padlock is visible better here and you can also see the twisted "metal" on the lower part of the door. I dont know why I am telling you this, but the thing is, the strip was cut too long and I've just twisted it instead of cutting. This produced a nice little detail, making door look even older and more battered.

The roof opens and thats how it looks like in the inside: 
 I was planning to sculpt some torches and make a lightning effect, but that'd be very hard to paint in such a confined place. I had to be satisfied with "tiles" on the floor. You can also see a sneak peak of the sarcophagus, that is a separate piece.

 Here is the sarcophagus itself:

 It is made of plain plasticard with greenstuffed cthulhu head and an inscription. The sides are unfortunately boringly plain. I was thinking about making some hieroglyphs but that would probably ruin it all. Besides, I was told I have to do things simple!



Thats about all I've got to show you regarding the crypt itself. Next are the trees. I went for dried look, thats why the trees are all grayish. Theyre made of wire, PVA and some toilet paper. Some of the little detailes were sculpted with green stuff. I gave them some resemblings of skulls, faces, mouth and such, to make them look kinda spooky.

On picture below, you could probably spot a skull (leftmost branch) and something that might as well be called a crabs claw.

 The other tree in the same base has a branch with horrifying  face-like features....and...ARGHHH MY EYES...is that a....tongue sticking out?

The rest of the trees are not as special, but they all got something hidden somewhere. I didn't want all the features to be too visible, but if they can't be seen, whats the point of making them?


Look, is that...an eye?




For the end...you might remember I've started scultping some more beasts a while ago. This fellow, a conglomerate for Strange Aeons players had the most progress done. I've made it shortly after posting that post, where I was mentioning it for the first time, but never got a chance to show it. He is pretty small, but was much fun. A conglomerate is just that, a conglomerate of various beasts and human body parts. I gave mine a human leg, a hoove, a human face (that has scared impression, looks like it can think separately from the creature and does not like what it has became a part of!). Then we got...well, a man's treasure, a tentacle (that fell off 2 times and i will pin it now) and a huge mouth with a tongue sticking out. It will probably get another tentacle on the other side of the body, unless I'll manage to sculpt a good looking hand.
 A closer photo:


And the monsters back:
I think you can't backstab this fella, it seems like he sees things clearly!
If you check it, each leg goes its own way...the heck? Well, a sculpting accident, but it looks even better that way!
 A hole for the hand or another tentacle on the other side:


Thats if for today! Thanks for looking,
Mathyoo

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic look monster you've sculpted. I agree about the name it looks good as freehand but a bit like graffiti to me which doesn't quite fit the theme if you know what I mean.

    Could you get stencil or something and cut the letters out of plasticard and then add them as if they've been carved out of the stone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work all around, Mathyoo! I agree with Simon that the name on the crypt does look like it has been graffitied on. In addition to Simon's suggestions, you could take a thin rectangle of modelling putty and scribe the name in it using the nib of a pen. With a metal ruler and a craft knife you could scribe in two thin lines first of all to give you the height of the letters of the name. Then write the name, making sure you keep within the two lines. Just a suggestion. It's funny but the name "Scott" does ring a bell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work. I can see you have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing!

    Well done and it has given me some ideas as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! I'm glad it spreads the ideas, lol.

    I'll probably really carve it in GS plate next time I'll be sculpting, it should be the easiest way, producing a nice looking resoult!

    ReplyDelete