It has been a tough mind battle, but I decided it is time to tackle the camo and I present you my Slovene GPMG team.
Each platoon would have a HQ squad with three GPMG teams (pairs, actually). I only got one and given how much fire power they spit out in games, there is little need for any more.
As our army uses the "European" version of the machine gun, and I am converting mine from American infantry (that uses "American" version with a heat shield, just like in case of the minimis), I "had" to swap the barrel for a bit of (way too crooked) wire. In addition, I sculpted something roughly resembling our aiming device. Both of them got camo straps on the helmet and canteens. Again, vests were left intact as it would require too much work to make them proper for a very little gain.
As I've said many times before, the Slovenian army is now using a new pattern, called SloCam (really!).
It was developed in Slovenia and it is clearly inspired by Multicam (as
is the new British MTP). While this means that in wargaming, painting
Slovenes, Brits and - to some degree - Americans is much like painting
the same army, it helps with the recognition of friendlies. It also
helps with finding a painting tutorial, as the pattern seems quite
daunting. I had to adjust the colour palette a bit, as SloCam is much
greener and thus more fitting to forests than Multicam. It also doesn't
incorporate any black tones at all.
I did took notes of
the paints I've used with my Humvee crews, so I am working with what
I've learned and what new I've came up with.
Light green base
went for german field grey with some goblin green and white added until
it "felt right". I then drybrushed it with the roughly same mix, with
more white added.
Ochre patches - There is a sand colour as well, but ochre has a bit stronger tone so I'm only painting this one
green patches - Again, it seems there are three different greens, but
with green basic colour and dark green, third would probably not be
visible enough as camo is crowded using 5 colours already
Dark brown and bone stipples. There is actually a lot more white in it than there is brown.
Vests and equipment are in the old pattern. It's a german field grey base with black, brown and green "amoebas".
didn't quite look right even after the black wash (I should invest in
an ink!), so I drybrushed it all together with some brightened
fieldgrey. It dusted it up and hopefully brought out some details. It
also fades the camo on the vests, which hides the cammo effort, but it's
a bit more realistic as far as I'm concerned.
If anyone finds something else, please feel free to comment!
Below are two photos of what I was after - duplicating it seems a lot harder than one would imagine!