20 Feb 2014

Insurgency rising - part 1

 Hello guys,

as soon as I got the box of WGF Survivors: the men (for newcomers, yes, I'm slow on the new toys :D), I had to crack it open and have a go immediately. I have decided to work on 4 figures at a time, but I've decided on 5 as I progressed. And then I made 10 in two days...

Anyways, for first batch of five, I just went down the list from FOF Quick start rules. I made a leader, who is a normal rifleman that has to stand out a bit, two riflemen and one each of RPG gunner and a SAW gunner. They have been done in two sessions so, they're kinda crude, but I think it's good enough. Only thing missing is perhaps a scarf or two around some heads. They are meant to represent westernish insurgents, so the traditional arabic scarf is really not what I want every miniature to have.

Below is a bad photo of all 5 of them (leader, RPK, RPG, AR, AR), but I was never much of a photographer.

 On a close up of the three rifles armed guys, you can see a leader with an M16 and two riflemen with AKs, one of them having a molotov cocktail.

I would prefer them all having AKs if that would be possible, but given the arms combinations and all, I've decided I'll also keep in some M16s and even SA80s (so US and UK rifles). They are all the same as far as rules go and not that I feel the need to justify my hobby, they could've bought the M16s on the black market and have gotten SA80s from the same source.

Miniature on the left is a leader. He has a vest under his long coat and a radio showing. Radio will be a defining feature of all my leaders to help with identification..but I think radios won't be the most noticeable things once the miniatures are painted. I've given him the peaked hat for the laughs, making him a bit more "easternish" and I'm not yet decided if I really like it - what do you think?
He was given an M16 because it suited the body out of the box. It made sense for a leader to be equipped with a "better" rifle (where better means more exotic so we can avoid the argument :D).

First rifleman, the ordinary Joe, is a young man reloading his AK. As most (but not all) of other insurgents, he has a chest webbing for 5 magazines. I'm not sure if the number is correct for any vest in the existance, but that's how many I could make and thats what I went with. Again, I'm not particularly bothered as long as it looks correct. All the pouches are way too thin, but I wouldn't want to make them so thick that it would ruin the positioning of the arms.

Second rifleman was a bit tricky. It's a guy in the overalls and he has a machete and a beer can/molotov in his other hand. I've cut the machete and put an AK on it's place (the arm is still holding a knife's grip, so it looks a bit too large up close). I've turned the arm around a bit to make him look like he is sprinting in cover/position to throw his molotov or something. I figured it looked kinda cool but it actually came out kinda silly. I don't like miniatures with too much movement in them. Also the bottle needs fixing as I've cut too deep. I didn't want to have it, but I had no better idea for it, either.

Moving to support weapons, now that was fun! I needed an RPG and an RPK (or something similar).
 
RPG stands for a rocket propelled grenade if we're talking about TYPE of weapons, but RPG-7, the weapon would stand for hand-held  anti-tank grenade launcher. Grenade not being an actual grenade as in 40mm grenades, but a mine. Complicated much? Not nearly! I've opted for sculpting my own, to see how hard it can be. I've decided to make a RB M-57. It's about as old as RPG-2, but it's said to be one of the best from it's generation. I'm a bit emotionally attached to it as my dad used it when he was serving YPA in 1980, when this weapon was already obsolete. It was also used in Balkan wars with quite some success. I figured my insurgents could get their hands on some of those, where they'd be used against infantry just as successfully as any other RPG, while being less effective against tanks. To complicate things more, this isn't strictly an RPG. With RPG-7, grenade has it's own rocket (hence rocket-propelled) that gives it extra speed. With M-57, the mine files only as fast as the launcher "throws" it. The launcher was recoilless as the blast was counter-forced with some sand that came out from back of the tube. So, every time it was fired, a huge puff of smoke was seen. Life expectancy of a man firing that during cold war was 15 minutes or so, before snipers would pick them off.

On photo below, the assistant gunner is armed with PAP M59/66 nicknamed "papovka", PAP stands for semi-automatic rifle. It's a  Yugoslav version of SKS and has nothing to do with my miniatures :P.

RPK is what you'd call a light support weapon. Basically an AK with longer barrel and a bipod. Not even a fully functional light machine gun as the barrel is not quick-changeable. Those are dead easy to convert, as I just have to cut the barrel and replace it. At first, I tried to be fancy and I wanted to trill through aiming point and under upper barrel part. It didn't work as they're too fiddly. I've just cut it all off then and replaced with some wire, measured by the eye.
I know you all love fun facts, so here's one! My RPKs are actually M72 light machine guns - you've guessed it, a Yugoslav made RPK. Difference is in the stock (and a barrel, but that's not noticable in 28mm :P) - for a "real" RPK, I'd have to work on the stock, as well! Isn't that cool?


M72

RPK

I better get my coat now...

Thanks for looking,
Mathyoo

20 comments:

  1. I really like your conversions, ammo pouches and trouser lengthening very cool, good work Mathyoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I could do much better on the fat man's boots, but if you think about it, they're a swarm, like zombies, so overall impression is more important than the quality of a single figure :)

      Delete
  2. Nice job mate. All the sculpting practice paying off dividends now! Perhaps you could sculpt ski masks on a few for a bit more variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. The practice is showing, that's for sure. Few months back, I wouldn't believe I could sculpt a vest in one go..it's really just a blob of putty, put in 4 times to make 5 pouches, tidied up a bit and, to keep it simple, I only poked a hole for a button instead of sculpting "ears" for magazine covers if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  3. Nice work- you could walays convert the M16s into SAR 80s. The latter did turn up in the Balkans sin the 90s... Just a thought.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hey Pete :D. That's a sound idea and I was thinking about it, but I've decided against it. It would take a lot of work for something that isn't really needed. I am low on RPGs and got no RPKs, so I had to find a solution there. I will think about it - perhaps M16 for the leaders and SAR for the lower ranks?

      Delete
    2. Fair point, I'm lazy and work in 20mm so just use M16s as is...

      ... I'm assuming you are working towards the rescue the pilot scenario?

      Cheers,

      Pete.

      Delete
    3. That is the one. I've put some terrain on table and "played" (rolled some dice) a firefight between 2 insurgents units and "marines". Apparently I'll need practice as there is so many things to think about :D

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about the figure with the bottle it looks an awkward pose. But the ret of them are really good. Great work on the pouches and webbing. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As for the molotov guy, except for the molotov, I kinda like him more and more every time I see him :D.

      Delete
  5. I agree with the others - the pouches and belts make this look a bit more like an organised militia rather than a random collection of civilians. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was the plan. I am trying to sculpt another mag on the rifles of those that don't have specialized pouches (like 2 mags together, so you just flip it and reload), but it doesn't work the way I'd want to just yet.

      Delete
  6. They're very good except the one that does look aa bit awkwardly posed.
    Your sculpting skills just get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! I'll make sure I do more chopping next time I will do this body to fix it.

      Delete
  7. I like most of them, Mathyoo. the only one who is a bit off is the guy with the Molotov and that's because of how he's holding his assault rifle. All in all, great work though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan! If you imagine him running into cover, he makes more sense :P. Or perhaps, stabbing with a bayonet. But then he'd have to hold it with both hands...ah! :D

      Delete
  8. They really came out well. Terrific, I'm looking forward to seeing them painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll try to get them painted before I convert all 30, but I still got some zombies on my painting table and it doesn't seem to be moving anywhere :D

      Delete
  9. Nice work there mate! They are coming along nicely :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! 22 to go, if I don't do the kids :P

      Delete