I've written this post before I left, because I knew I wouldn't have time to do much of anything hobby related.
I am thinking much about how my campaign should be run and about tweaks in the rules that I'd need (want?) to make.
Don't get me wrong, I am really satisfied with the rules, but they come out too simple, so to say. Then again you can fit limited amount of things in one book.
Some of the chagnges, as zombies control and additional weapons, will be used in normal games as well, but others, like improved search tables and some campaign specific scenarios, will be, at least for the beginning, limited to campaign play.
I only have rough idea of what to do at the moment, but this is no problem, as I have plenty of time to fix things. I have also picked the name of the town, by the way, but lets reveal that when the time comes.
To keep it easier for me, to keep it interesting for you, and because my handwriting is horrible, here is a rough to-do list before I start my campaign, by no special order:
- paint buildings
- build more building (fire house (department? station?), police station, clinic or hospital, more apartments)
- build more scenery (trash, rubbish, waste, bins, fences, walls)
- paint miniatures (obviously)
- purchase survivors (main characters and some random gangsters and police, army, too - rules are very light on NPC alive people, so I will fix that a bit, but I guess team Bloggers will be pretty lonely)
- purchase additional zombies (because...there is never enough!)
- additional weapons and equipment (supressor!)
- zombie control
- scenarios (write "quarantine" scenario, inspired by ATZ, but basic. I was thinking police/army roadblock, survivors need to get out of the area - so updated "On the road" scenario from NMRIH; tweak other scenarios to fit campaign - will do that as campaign progresses)
- improve search tables (currently those are pretty basic. I will make special for apartment buildings, police station, firehouse, clinic, various types of stores etc)
- NPC? There are some ideas of NPC in the book, as people shooting at you and so on - will try to make it so they actually appear. The good guys (gives your team bonuses for scenario) will be able to join team for the duration of scenario, or, if I decide, join the team for the campaign)
I already have rough idea of the first mission story, but will have to playtest a thing or two. Obviously, story will be made up as we go, regarding the things happening on the table.
After I come home, I will start painting zeds. I will try working with 6 at once, because 3 will take up too much time. Then I'll paint the buildings (bought some less expensive acrylics) and start experimenting with the house rules. I am most bugged with the ammount of zombies on the table, I will have less points on table than it is advised, and don't want my survivors to get overcrowded. To keep things simple, I might just play with the lowest zombie threat level (for example, using rules for rural densitiy, but playing in urban area). I don't want to dig too deep in the mechanics of the game.
You can see I've named this post "theory 1". The reason is, I plan to post updates say...once every 2-3 weeks, when I'd have something big finished. I will start blogging twice a week next week.