16 Nov 2014

Fireteam Bled

Hello guys,

I am day late, but I finished another Slovene fire team, Bled. It is, again, made up of rifleman, grenadier, saw gunner and a rifleman with optics, so it would not be in the same squad as the last one, if we're being picky.

Below is a pre-painting photo. Conversion work, as usual, is limited to weapon swaps, added canteens and remodeled hand where necessary.


It took me a bit to paint them and I'm quite happy with the camo, but I am disappointed in the skin. I am fairly certain I used to be better at painting faces.
This fire team is in a "firefight" poses, so two of them are firing their weapons, one seems to be out of place and is resting and the fourth is shouting (orders).
 To add to a variation, this time knee pads are painted black (green in previous team), 40mm grenade pouches are tan (green in previous team) and one guy is wearing desert boots.
 Below is a single shot of the optics rifleman. You can see how lazy I became and I didn't bother with properly positioning his rifle. I am a bit disappointed with myself for doing that, but I suppose we could say he is observing or just starting to aim.
 SAW gunner is nothing to write home about, except his weapon has a folded stock, again, for the sake of variety.

 Lastly, grenadier is "firing his GL". To be really fair, his rifle should be pointing upwards, but there is a limit to what I can do without completely resculpting arms. Also, his head should be tilted over the gun, as grenade launcher sights are on the "starboard" (I blame Clint's naval game for the term!) side of the gun, so the side you see on the photo below.
Grenade launcher on F2000 is accessibly by "simply" extending your finger further  (as opposed to most weapons, where you'd grab a handle or magazine to fire it), so the position of his finger is very subtle.


This is all I have for this week and I will hopefully play another game next week. I will not be painting any modern soldiers for a while now as I haven't yet converted the rest. Both fire teams need anti tank launchers made mostly from scrap. I might leave those for later and start converting command figures instead (radioman, medic and two riflemen that will take the role of squad leaders).

Thanks for looking,
Mathyoo

15 comments:

  1. The camo does look good! Another set of great additions. It's going to be good to see them on the table top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint! I'm already thinking about the scenario, but will probably replay the patrol and hope for different results, to show how easily things can turn with random tables :)

      Delete
  2. Camo is looking great mate! Well done on another team!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johnny! I only painted 13 miniatures so far, but it feels like 500, to be honest! :D

      Delete
  3. Very nice subtle conversions Mathyoo.
    Camo looks great too dude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work love the camo. Are you shading you flesh before highligting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I start with brown base, then highlight. If I remember to do so, I run a wash over it, but lately the faces all come out too blank or mutilated :D

      Delete
    2. Perhaps after the wash. do an extra highlight or two?

      Delete
  5. Another good looking squad, I do like their poses and your camo schemes, I doubt I could have been bothered with differing coloured bits of kit, but it does add interest to overall effect. Are these Empress minis ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fireteam, two of those make up a squad :P.
      I prefer different colours as they add some contrast to the miniature, so it isn't all the same.

      Yes, these, the ones I posted last time and all next ones are from Empress, the ones we were looking at in Debenham's.

      Delete
  6. Great work on the conversions and painting- doing the little details differently makes them look much more realistic.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very effective - I like the camouflage!

    ReplyDelete