I got some more WIPs to share before I continue with the remaining of my insurgents. I'll start with the "others" category. My mojo is with the moderns these days, so those haven't been touched in either weeks or even months. Some have been waiting for some love for well over half a year already.
This is the case with Weird WW2 Uber soldaten / mutants. They were meant for my WWWII project that never really took off, but I have done bits and bobs in that direction. I got this great idea for a genetically enhanced soldier I had to build him right away (he is the one far right) and others were just something I made up as I went. I am not proud of whatever is that thing on the middle (it's worse in a back shot!) and well - the shark head wasn't one of the brightest ideas, either.
Next is a Kurent, a traditional carneval mask from eastern Slovenia (but some similar ones could be found elsewhere in Slavonic countries). I actually like him but work on him has stalled as he needs feathers added to his head and, again, his face and arm done. I will try to resume work on him as he's traditionally armed with a hedgehog stick and using some imagination, he could be used as a maniac in anything from 1930 until today.
On a photo below, he lies in a pile of weaponry, two of them being discarded F2000s and one is a disposable AT launcher. The "better" rifle and a minimi have been away for some time now, but I expect them back soonish (wink wink).
Talking of modern weapons, here are some modern "sub projects" I am working on.
First, the civilian horde. I am using Studio miniatures plastic zombies, if you were looking for a reason for their shambling. To put the credit where it is due this time, they were gifted by Vampifan of World of the undead fame! I have painted some others as zombies, but seeing I got a massive horde of around 50-60 zombies already (I know, I know...), I have decided to make some rioting civilians instead. The work is slow and the two without torsos (torsos were donated for humvee gunners) actually got beefed up a bit. I have concluded I still can't sculpt a human torso.
I plan on making around 12-16 civilians only and I will beef the mob with zombies if stars ever do get right and I will play a game.
..then I got struck by a wish to have them completed and I have started working on them little by little every day in the last week. I don't have pictures but I have sculpted lower brims of their shirts and then started working on a flak vest over it...until yesterday, that is. I have compared them to the two Empress miniatures I have and found out that if they have been too small at the beginning, they were too large now. Without a thought, I cut their shoulders right of. This made their vests too small, so I had to cut off the shirt and make them longer. Adding some putty to the vest was actually a harder operation than expected and it made me regret my choice.
You can see the little extra work I've done below. I think I will just forget about it and about those horrible feet and just finish them. I had some ideas of trying to get them cast and just add heads and sculpt new pair of arms on everyone (while keeping the same torso and legs), but I don't think I will do that. Instead, I will give another 4 a shot eventually, perhaps trying to make my own wire armatures again. I must also be doing something wrong with my pants as it took me way too long to get them to a stage they are in now. I dread the thought to sculpt so many different vests and pouches, so I think it would be a great idea to invest in some instamould very soon, too :D.
Lastly, here is a comparison photo. Green are mine, metal are by Empress, plastic by SM, painted by WGF. Mine will somehow end up much bulkier than I expected (I was worried they would be very thin), especially when I will add countless pouches to them. I actually prefer it that way - the flow of tiny eye candy doesn't suit me.
Ah, I forgot. Here is also a quick photo of a sniper I am working on. Between the constant dilemma of too big - too small, this one came out too small and will be scraped. On the other hand, it was made from scratch and looks like a rifle so I have concluded the idea was all right. I will start over and keep you posted!
Thanks for looking,